First, use KetoDiet Buddy to calculate your macros on the ketogenic diet:
Second, use Carb Manager to track your macros and food intake on the ketogenic diet:
Third, commit your tracked food to a SAA Food Sponsor daily.
SAA Abstinence Food Plan Guidelines
Use the following guidelines to establish and maintain your SAA abstinence date:
1. Keep as close as possible to your daily protein and fat macros using your guidelines from KetoDiet Buddy.
2. Keep your daily carbohydrates to a maximum of 20 g of net carbohydrates per day:
SAA Abstinence Food Plan Sweeteners Guidelines
All artificial sweeteners such as aspartame, saccharin, sucralose, and sugar alcohols both cause blood sugar to go up and cause insulin to be released.
All natural sweeteners such as stevia, inulin, monk fruit, FOS, and oligosaccharides cause insulin release even though they may not affect blood sugar.
BOTH artificial and natural sweeteners cause cravings for more sweets.
Therefore, do not use the following at all: sugar, artificial sweeteners, natural sweeteners, caloric sweeteners, or zero-calorie sweeteners on the SAA Food Plan to in order to avoid sweet cravings and to maximize ketosis.
Fourth, use the SAA 12 Step Tools to establish and maintain your abstinence and maximize your physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual recovery.
1. SAA Abstinence Food Plan: The most important 12 step tool in the SAA program.
2. Literature: All conference-approved Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) literature is considered conference-approved SAA literature. When we substitute the words “sugar addict” for “alcoholic” and “sugar” and "carbohydrates" for “alcohol”, we feel we identify absolutely.
3. Writing: Using writing for step work, keeping a daily journal, and writing on specific problems has been found to be helpful to process and work through difficult and persistent issues.
4. Anonymity: Who you see here, what you hear here, when you leave here, let it stay here. When we meet another member in the outside world, we do not mention that they are members of SAA.
5. Telephone Calls: We are required to make four calls a day-one to our sponsor and three to other SAA members. The phone is like a lifeline; we need the contact; it can be like a mini-meeting.
6. Meetings: Attending 3 meetings a week has been found helpful to maintain quality abstinence.
7. Service: Service is abstinence-the greatest service to ourselves.
8. Sponsorship: A sponsor is a compulsive eater who–thank God– has 30 days of back-to-back SAA abstinence. A sponsor will help you work through the 12 Steps. Everyone in SAA is sponsored according to the same guidelines. Sponsors MUST have 30 days of abstinence and have taken the first three steps.
9. 12 Step Work: Working the 12 steps has been found helpful to succeed in the ketogenic lifestyle and to stay abstinent.
Fifth, use the SAA Ketogenic Tools to additionally establish and maintain your abstinence and maximize your physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual recovery, and to increase your BDNF and promote your mitochondrial health.
1. SAA Abstinence Food Plan: The most important ketogenic tool in the SAA program
5. Meditation and Prayer
6. Nasal Breathing
9. In-person networking and fellowship with friends and family
11. Playtime with hobbies and recreational activities